How to write an iPhone appJanuary 11th, 2007
How to write an iPhone app:
- Build your app with Python, Ruby, PHP, WebObjects, Prototype, Dojo … whatever.
- Host your app on a web site somewhere on the Net.
- Bookmark your app from your iPhone Safari web browser.
Simple as that.
“But wait!” you say, “it’s not really open, I can’t access <insert-badass-iphone-feature-here>!”. (Do you really think they won’t add any neat extensions?)
Answer? WebKit.org. Apple’s Open Source, ready-to-go solution. So now the steps are:
- Think up my awesome iPhone WebKit extension that isn’t already in WebKit.
- Contribute code to WebKit.org. (though, you may want to standardize it first)
- Wait for clever engineers at Apple to port to iPhone.
- Sync latest iPhone Software Update.
I eagerly await the Mobile Internet Revolution. Coming soon.
Update: The Apple Engineers are talking…